Monday, August 29, 2016

Airport Style + Tips for Traveling Alone with an Infant

Airport Style, Tips for Traveling Alone with an Infant

Hey y'all! Happy new week! 

Yesterday, we celebrated our 11th year Anniversary at Love Assembly, and as always, it was such a great time fellowshipping with the brethren in the presence of The Lord!

As I mentioned in my previous post, I traveled alone with my 4 month old to Texas a couple of weeks ago for a wedding (Hubby stayed back home with my 6-year-old and 4-year-old). Traveling alone with a baby can seem overwhelming, but with the right things in place, it can be fun, for both you and your baby. Despite the fact the I forgot my phone before traveling (read about that here), it was still a great experience.

Here are a few tips from my recent experience.


Airport Style, Tips for Traveling Alone with an Infant

Airport Style, Tips for Traveling Alone with an Infant

Airport Style, Tips for Traveling Alone with an Infant

Airport Style, Tips for Traveling Alone with an Infant

Airport Style, Tips for Traveling Alone with an Infant
Such A Happy Baby!

Airport Style, Tips for Traveling Alone with an Infant

Airport Style, Tips for Traveling Alone with an Infant

Airport Style, Tips for Traveling Alone with an Infant

 


 


Airport Style, Tips for Traveling Alone with an Infant

Airport Style, Tips for Traveling Alone with an Infant

 

Airport Style, Tips for Traveling Alone with an Infant

Airport Style, Tips for Traveling Alone with an Infant

Top: c/o Here  |  Jeggings: Similar Here  |  Sandals: Similar Here  |  Cardigan: Similar Here (Or try this and this)


Wear something comfortable. The last thing you want to be worried about during your flight is adjusting this or that. If you're not comfortable, it will be very difficult for your to take care of your baby. If you're nursing, a nursing friendly top is key. I don't use nursing covers, because I'm not really comfortable with them, and neither is my baby. So, I wore two layers: a button down top with a super stretchy black cami on the inside. When I want to nurse, I undo a couple of buttons, pull up the  cami, and that creates a "keyhole" effect for nursing without much exposure.

Don't forget to dress your baby comfortably too, and in layers.
   



Take a cardigan sweater. Because most airports are cold, and sometimes it gets cold on the plane, you may need an extra layer of clothing. A cardigan is great as you can put it on when you're cold or tie it around your waist when you're not. I say cardigan, and not sweater, because a cardigan is open in the front, so you can put it on (or take it off) without having to pull it over your head, which means you won't need to ask anyone to hold your baby during the process. SheIn has a nice selection of cardigan sweaters. Try this to add a fun print to your outfit, or this for a bold pop of color.



  



Carry a bag with compartments. I used a diaper bag, but in retrospect, a backpack would have been much better. Compartmentalizing things helps keep you organized (and sane) so you're not rummaging through looking for something which most likely ends up at the very bottom of the bag. If you choose to carry a bag without many compartments, you can use several ziplock bags to sort things, like I did with my daughter's extra clothes. You roll up the piece of clothing and tuck them into ziplock bags. That way, you can carry several outfits that take up very little space.

Tips for Traveling Alone with an Infant Tips for Traveling Alone with an Infant



A baby carrier is a great way to have your hands free for whatever you may need to do. The one I use is by Infantino, but any one you and baby are most comfortable with is fine. Airlines do allow parents carry a travel system (stroller/carseat set) and check it in for free at the gate, so you can use that too. I have a travel system, but I was traveling alone with the baby, and I wanted to have as few things as possible to think about. If I'm traveling with the whole family, the travel system would work great.

 


Make sure you have enough diapers and wipes. Of course!




Premix ONLY one bottle ahead of time. After mixing formula, the clock starts ticking on how long you have till it's no longer useable. So, mixing one allows you to feed you baby as soon as s/he is hungry en route. You can carry extra bottles and formula powered and make more when needed. I use a container to carry my formula powder. I'm not sure what it's called but I found it in the BabyDepot at Burlington. If you're concerned about them tossing your water during your security check, don't worry: airlines allow you carry water for your baby's formula. They just have to pass it through a special scan.

Tips for Traveling Alone with an Infant 



Pack a light snack for yourself. Yes, there are restaurants and kiosks at the airport, but have you noticed how expensive things are at the airport?! Depending on how long your flight is, you can eat before leaving for the airport, and just carry something light to munch on. I did buy one meal at the airport, and you may have to, especially if you're nursing.


Carry a hair tie in case you need to get your hair off your face (or your baby's).


PRAY and don't hesitate to ask for help. It's good to plan, but ultimately, placing those plans into The Lord's hands is what makes the difference. I stayed praying the entire trip. I kept asking God for help, and I called on the Holy Spirit to comfort my baby the moment she started to get fussy (which was pretty much only when she wanted to fall asleep). And of course, He's a faithful God. All four flights were a success. Ear pressure during take off and landing were a non-issue. She didn't even seem to notice the difference! Chisom was so friendly and most people were so nice and offered help. The lady sitting next to me literally said "How can we help you?" Most are ready and willing to help a mother with a baby. So, don't be shy to ask.

***

Quick Recap:

1. BE COMFORTABLE
From your clothes, to your shoes, your hair AND your baby...comfort is key!

2. TRAVEL LIGHT
Check in as much luggage as you can, so you can give your baby as much as attention as s/he needs.

3. ASK FOR HELP
The host of Heaven is ready to assign some earthly people to give help when you need it.

Tips for Traveling Alone with an Infant

Go ahead and and create new memories. Enjoy your trip with your baby!

Thanks for stopping by!

xo

Instagram  |  Twitter  |  YouTube  |  Shop

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog design by Bella Lulu Ink