Thursday, August 04, 2016

"Measure ONCE, Cut TWICE" - DIY Ruffle Sleeve Tank Top

My Style Oasis, DIY Ruffle Sleeve Tank Top

There's a saying in the world of sewers: "Measure twice, cut once..."

Meaning there's only one chance you get to cut your fabric, so make sure you measure properly and accurately because once you cut, you can't "uncut."

Well, for me, it ended up being "Measure once, cut twice." That's how I came about this top! I had originally intended to make a pencil skirt with this red knit fabric from OnlineFabricStore.net as I mentioned in my Fabric Haul video. In fact, I actually cut and sewed the side seams of the skirt...and then, after trying it on, I changed my mind, and decided on a whole new look! I prefer this much better!

Moral of the story: If you start something and it doesn't seem to be working out quite right, that's ok; just go back to the drawing board and try again! You just might love the new result!

Happy Thursday!




My Style Oasis, DIY Ruffle Sleeve Tank Top
  

My Style Oasis, DIY Ruffle Sleeve Tank Top

My Style Oasis, DIY Ruffle Sleeve Tank Top







Top: DIY (Tutorial below); Similar here  |  SkirtDIY (previously seen here)  |  HeelsBurlington (similar here)  |  NecklaceGifted (Similar here)


I wore this to church a couple of sundays ago with another DIY skirt (previously seen here). And as much as I wish I had recorded a video of the details of creating this top, I constructed it on a whim, and in the middle of the night. 

However, OFS has a video tutorial on how to make a racerback tank top
(See video tutorial hereDownload pattern here).
You can use that tutorial to make your tank top. I'll just list the steps to cut and add the sleeve.


*I used scrap fabric and contrasting thread to show these steps.*


Step 1: 
Using one layer of fabric, cut out a shape that looks like this. Note that one side slightly longer than the other. (See the measurements I used below)


Step 2: 
Hem straight and outer curved edges.

Step 3: 
Fold pleats on the inner curve to create ruffle effect. Pin and Baste in place.

 

Step 4: 
With right sides together, attach sleeve to tank top arm hole.

Step 5: 
Fold in seam allowance and finish the arm hole by stitching in place.

And you're done!

Tips:
- When sewing knits, it's best to use a zigzag stitch, that way, the stitches are less likely to snap when the fabric stretches.



- Clip inner curves when sewing neck and arm holes.



- Notch outer curves when hemming ruffle.






Please, let me know if you try this tutorial, and if you have any questions...or if you'd like me to do a video tutorial. I think I'm actually better with those, and I do have a few lined up, so stay tuned!

Wishing you a great day ahead!


Thanks for stopping by!

xo

Instagram  |  Twitter  |  YouTube  |  Shop

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog design by Bella Lulu Ink