Thursday, August 18, 2016

"Reminiscing in Gingham..." - DIY Tea Length Dress



If you ever schooled in Nigeria (or perhaps, any other country in Africa), "gingham" should be quite familiar to you. At my school, we all wore royal blue gingham as part of our school uniform. And as "boarders" (boarding students), we wore different colored "check" for different "houses" as our "house wear" (I was in Emotan House, and so I wore green gingham).

My alma mata has changed a lot since I was last there many years ago (Class of 2003), but I'll never forget the experiences I had while attending Queen's College. My favorite principal was Mrs. Sojinrin, and I'll leave you with one of her favorite quotes, one that has stuck with me over the years:

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Happy Thursday!

~

It's Thursday, so let's do a little throwback, shall we?


That was me in JSS2 (equivalent of 8th grade).
Gosh! I was so young! There are so many things I'd like to say to this little lady...
I'll save that for another post!

~







 


 












Dress: DIY (Fabric c/o OnlineFabricStore.net)  |  HeelsCharlotte Russe (similar here; love these)


In case you haven't noticed, Gingham squares have made a huge comeback. They've become a big trend in casual wear today, and I'm all for it! It wasn't until my July sew-along that I realized how cute the gingham print really is. I was so used to thinking of it in terms of "boarding house life," but now, I'm really loving it! I guess it's true what they say, "What goes around comes around!"

I made this cute shirt dress using this adorable candy pink 1/8 inch gingham fabric from OnlineFabricStore.net as seen in my fabric haul. I originally considered making a shorts set with this fabric, but I changed my mind when I saw THIS dress. I knew I just had to recreate the look! I didn't have enough fabric to make it a maxi with long sleeves, but this one looks just fine too!

I used the McCalls Easy-To-Stitch pattern M9142 for the top portion (View A, size 14). I found this pattern at my local Walmart, but I couldn't find it online to link it, but this what it looks like: HERE. This pattern was super easy to make! I cut it off at the waistline, and added a gathered skirt to the bottom. I added buttonholes and buttons all the way down the front of the dress.

This is definitely one of the most adorable dresses I've made! And it has a lot to do with the fabric! So feminine and chic! Definitely the opposite of my secondary school uniform!

~

What secondary school did you attend? Do you have any fun stories about your days there? Or your "boarding house life"? I'd love to hear about it! Share below!


Thanks for stopping by!

xo

Instagram  |  Twitter  |  YouTube  |  Shop

4 comments :

  1. Beautiful dress--so soft and feminine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Up QC. I was in Obi house class of 1970. I love your blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! I wasn't even born by then! Haha!
      Nice to meet you, fellow QCOG! Pass on the torch! Yea!
      Thanks for reading!

      xo

      Delete

Blog design by Bella Lulu Ink